Gastro gifts are great: not too difficult to make, a bigger portion serves more people and when eaten they don’t take up space anymore. As Christmas is coming, I plan to start a little section for them. They are good for many occasions though.
Where I come from granola is not very well known. We have muesli which is practically the raw and dry ingredients of granola. When you add honey and bake it, it is taken to whole new level. It is not a big fuss to make it at home, best way is to throw it in the oven when you are already baking something else.
Ingredients in general:
- oats – big, rolled ones are the best;
- nuts – almond, hazelnut, walnut, cashew, pecan, etc.
- dry fruits – raisin, apricot, plum, berries, etc.
- oil – sunflower, olive, etc.
- sweetener – honey, sugar, maple syrup, etc.
- optional: seeds (sesame, flax, sunflower, pumpkin), coconut shred, chocolate, banana chips, ground spices (cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, etc.)
My basic granola:
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of nuts and dry fruits (what I have)
- 3-5 spoonful of honey
- 2-3 spoonful of sunflower oil
- pinch of salt and cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 150 °C. Mix oats, oil, honey, salt and cinnamon in a bowl evenly. Spread the mix on a tray with baking sheet. Bake it for 20-30 minutes, check and stir several times until golden brown. Take it out and let it cool. Mix the fruits and nuts and you are ready.
Put it in a metal box and it stores for a few weeks. (Best to eat within a week or two though.)
Serving suggestion: yoghurt, granola and fresh fruit. Quick, healthy and yummy, perfect for breakfast or snack.
Magyar verzió: Gasztroajándék I. – Granola