Spring is a great time to sort out some of the mess you collected in the past few month. I started with my documents and added a bit of a creative touch – they look more fun, easier to see which folder is which and I’m more willing to put a new piece to the correct place (instead of tossing everything at one pile).
I use punched pockets/sheet protectors because I don’t bother punching all my documents, I like to have them in different folders and don’t need to see them one by one, just want to have them somewhere. Just needed to upgrade the front page a little.
The method is quite simple and fast, shouldn’t take more time than 1-2 minutes each page. No special material or tool is needed – use what you have:
- white paper – normal paper will do, you can even recycle and turn the printed part back of a paper you don’t need anymore;
- colour paper – whatever type and colour you have. I used lefotover children’s school paper which is not of highest quality but perfect for this and comes in A5 size;
- marker to write with
- decoration – washi tape, ink pad, ribbon, colour pencils, etc.
- punched pockets
For each page:
- Cut a stripe (~1 cm) of colour paper of the same width as your sheets.
- Glue it to the top of the white paper.
- Place the rest of the colour paper on the bottom of the white one. Glue it if you want, but you don’t have to.
- Write the name of the folder with big letters. Don’t have to be beautiful, just do it quickly.
- Add some decoration to accent the title. I used one stripe of washi tape or ribbon, a bit of inking or que tip dipped into paint to make dots. All took just seconds.
Fill your folders and put them in a binder or just a case. It is a flexible system, if you don’t need a category anymore, just throw it away – it was only 2 minutes of work after all. If you need a new one, you can make any time. Right now I used the categories work, finances, taxes, travelling, health, others.
Hungarian/magyar: Gyors és egyszerű iratrendezés